Sacked by the "downturn", an unemployed architect touring the country in a bus...




I used to live in New York City. I designed homes for the tycoons of Wall Street; Park Avenue, Scarsdale, Greenwich. It was great fun. And, after years of saving up for a down payment, I was just about to buy my own little place in Fleetwood, half an hour north of the city, when the economy fell apart. Architects are like canaries in a coal mine when the economy slows, and true to form, there were massive layoffs in firms all over the country. Devastation of the profession. So, I decided to try to find something else to do for a while. I bought a 23' school bus and I'm on the road to see if I can figure out what that might be.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Ugghhh, I ate something bad...

This morning I sent out a few resumes and made calls to two good contacts.  Still waiting to hear back from one, and another from last Thursday, but today I talked to the President of the Santa Fe AIA, to get the lay of the land.  Great conversation with a fellow New Yorker transplanted here 12 years ago, but a terrible assessment of the situation.  There is very little work here, it's all "historical" meaning adobe, and by my description of my interests, I'd be more likely to find "a match" in Colorado, perhaps Denver or Boulder or Loveland, or Fort Collins, but the unemployment rate for architects in Denver is at 35%!  And of course, architects younger than I am were the big layoff's and will be the first rehires...  ugh...

Then, I got sick from something I ate.  It came on over a period of maybe two hours, and I ended up very woozy and went back to bed, then induced vomiting, and in the middle, I did a little consulting phone work for the North Carolina project... lovely day.  Actually, it was all interesting, except for the sick part.  I feel a little better now and hope to be ok tomorrow and go see Bandelier National Monument, cliff dwellings a half an hour from here, to hike and photo with another Couch Surfer who arrived last night, Adrien Hausmmann, from Switzerland.

No comments:

Post a Comment