Sacked by the "downturn", an unemployed architect touring the country in a bus...




I used to live in New York City. I designed homes for the tycoons of Wall Street; Park Avenue, Scarsdale, Greenwich. It was great fun. And, after years of saving up for a down payment, I was just about to buy my own little place in Fleetwood, half an hour north of the city, when the economy fell apart. Architects are like canaries in a coal mine when the economy slows, and true to form, there were massive layoffs in firms all over the country. Devastation of the profession. So, I decided to try to find something else to do for a while. I bought a 23' school bus and I'm on the road to see if I can figure out what that might be.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Bandelier, New Mexico


A magical place, it's hard to tell where the eerie volcanic forms end and the man made dwellings begin.  I was there 10 days ago, in the early morning.  Some day I'd like to shoot there again at sunset, when the angle of the sun setting in the west will be even better on the cliffs which angle away on the left.  Maybe next bus trip...

Click here for a Flickr slide show of a few more shots

I'm in Taos, New Mexico, now, far behind in my postings.  There were Jeff and Tania's organic vegetable farm and their party with guitars around a camp fire, me playing vibes in Taos Plaza which was great in itself, but also got me a restaurant gig, a party at Lori's house, where she showed a video she made of her 9,000 mile motorcycle trip from LA to Panama backpacking and camping the whole way (I thought bus travel was tough!), the preacher who lives in his car, the drum lady...

Today I learned that there were only 4 building permits issued in Taos so far this year.

Tomorrow, I will go see the "Earthships", perhaps the Taos Inn Bar tomorrow night, I hope Taos Pueblo on Wednesday, and then I'll drive the Enchanted Circle Thursday and Friday.  Plus I have a to-do list of a dozen logistical chores, and calls to make to job leads.

I'll post when I can,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment