Sacked by the "downturn", an unemployed architect touring the country in a bus...




I used to live in New York City. I designed homes for the tycoons of Wall Street; Park Avenue, Scarsdale, Greenwich. It was great fun. And, after years of saving up for a down payment, I was just about to buy my own little place in Fleetwood, half an hour north of the city, when the economy fell apart. Architects are like canaries in a coal mine when the economy slows, and true to form, there were massive layoffs in firms all over the country. Devastation of the profession. So, I decided to try to find something else to do for a while. I bought a 23' school bus and I'm on the road to see if I can figure out what that might be.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Talpa Gardens

Jeff and Tania have built themselves a beautiful life; a little organic vegetable farm just south of Taos propper, in a neighborhood called Talpa.  He's a painter from Indiana and she's a wonderful cook from Canada, who came here a year ago, speaking almost exclusively her native French, and worked the farm as one of many volunteers Jeff welcomes on his farm.  They soon fell in love, I'm sure in no small part due to her exquisite cooking.

Click Here for a Flickr slide show of some of the Talpa Gardens farm life.

I have stayed here now 6 or so nights, perhaps for 3 or 4 a week and a half ago, and now for 2.  There are two other volunteers here now, also Canadian, but English speaking, Heather and Lindsey, whom I met by chance near the Taos Plaza two days before their arrival here.  I have become good friends with Lindsey, and enjoy her articulate and open conversational style, not to mention her pretty and kind face.  She has noted that it's nice to be around two people in love, Jeff and Tania.  Talpa Gardens is a little paradise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment