Sacked by the "downturn", an unemployed architect touring the country in a bus...




I used to live in New York City. I designed homes for the tycoons of Wall Street; Park Avenue, Scarsdale, Greenwich. It was great fun. And, after years of saving up for a down payment, I was just about to buy my own little place in Fleetwood, half an hour north of the city, when the economy fell apart. Architects are like canaries in a coal mine when the economy slows, and true to form, there were massive layoffs in firms all over the country. Devastation of the profession. So, I decided to try to find something else to do for a while. I bought a 23' school bus and I'm on the road to see if I can figure out what that might be.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Taos Gorge

In the middle of the Mesa, the extensive flat lands forming the bottom of the bowl in which Taos occupies only a small corner nestled between the surrounding mountains, one suddenly encounters the Taos Gorge, which remains hidden from view until you are almost upon it.  All at once, the yawning maw opens almost at your feet and your jaw drops.  The Gorge Bridge provides an amazing view, and also provides a lesson on how much flexibility such structures allow, as the bridge vibrates unnervingly below your feet whenever a car passes.

Why does a sign like this seem like an invitation to me?







A number of vendors collect in the parking lot at the east end of the bridge.  Aeriel's long hair caught my eye, and she sold me a tiny stone turtle for my Tourtoise's rear view mirror.











No comments:

Post a Comment