Sacked by the "downturn", an unemployed architect touring the country in a bus...




I used to live in New York City. I designed homes for the tycoons of Wall Street; Park Avenue, Scarsdale, Greenwich. It was great fun. And, after years of saving up for a down payment, I was just about to buy my own little place in Fleetwood, half an hour north of the city, when the economy fell apart. Architects are like canaries in a coal mine when the economy slows, and true to form, there were massive layoffs in firms all over the country. Devastation of the profession. So, I decided to try to find something else to do for a while. I bought a 23' school bus and I'm on the road to see if I can figure out what that might be.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Hillsboro, New Mexico

Sandy and I visited Hilsboro, New Mexico.  We had lunch in a tiny luncheonette that seemed to be authentically from the first half of the 20th century.  The waitress made no effort to conceal her contempt for us.  I met an old man dressed as a cowboy, who was an excellent photographer, with a poster for his work framed and hung on the wall of the luncheonette.  I also met Pat Richardson who was a builder from my home town of Roslyn, NY, and I was amazed by his recollection of many of the families in Roslyn that I knew; the Muffsins, Guy Frost, architect, the Shopes, the Kaufmans, Mr. Moser and his scary property, the "sand pits" where I played, and on and on.

Click here for a Flickr slide show

No comments:

Post a Comment