Sacked by the "downturn", an unemployed architect touring the country in a bus...




I used to live in New York City. I designed homes for the tycoons of Wall Street; Park Avenue, Scarsdale, Greenwich. It was great fun. And, after years of saving up for a down payment, I was just about to buy my own little place in Fleetwood, half an hour north of the city, when the economy fell apart. Architects are like canaries in a coal mine when the economy slows, and true to form, there were massive layoffs in firms all over the country. Devastation of the profession. So, I decided to try to find something else to do for a while. I bought a 23' school bus and I'm on the road to see if I can figure out what that might be.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Completing the plan. (If anyone ever doubted that I am Batman, this will settle it!)

Between Bridge City and Houston, I stopped at Lowes and picked up a small microwave oven I had selected with a fair bit of research in the previous weeks, a GE 700 watt model that draws only 9.8 amps, and which has a black front with horizontal banding that continues some of the visual themes in my design.  After first testing the unit in the parking lot to confirm that it worked with my 10.5 amp capacity DC to AC converter, I moved to a Walmart that night and installed the microwave there the following morning.

Back in Mississipi, I had selected a piece of butcher block from IKEA for a "kitchen" work top, but found that the nearest IKEA at that time was Houston.  Rather than paying the $300 shipping for a $40 top, I planned to pick it up.  The timing was perfect as I passed through Houston two days ago.  The following afternoon, at an I-10 rest stop, the kind with no services whatsoever, I cut the top to fit and did the installation.  Click here for a Flickr slide show.

At the rest stop, I met Sam in his RV.  I asked if he was staying the night, and said if he was, I would too.  He said yes, and then told me about how he has been "full timing" for 7 years, warm months in the WashingtonState region, and cold months in the Texas eastern gulf region.  He had spent many nights in rest areas and truck stops, and had never had or seen an indecent.  Then he told me about areas of Arizona and Texas that are wide open and in which it's easy to find secluded free spots and watch nature.  Ha, HA!  We'll see what I can find, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment