Sacked by the "downturn", an unemployed architect touring the country in a bus...




I used to live in New York City. I designed homes for the tycoons of Wall Street; Park Avenue, Scarsdale, Greenwich. It was great fun. And, after years of saving up for a down payment, I was just about to buy my own little place in Fleetwood, half an hour north of the city, when the economy fell apart. Architects are like canaries in a coal mine when the economy slows, and true to form, there were massive layoffs in firms all over the country. Devastation of the profession. So, I decided to try to find something else to do for a while. I bought a 23' school bus and I'm on the road to see if I can figure out what that might be.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Testing the Back Joint and Geometry

Last night I made a simulation of the back support bottom mortise and tenon joint so I could test it.  This morning I loaded it.  Seems adequate :-)

Today, I made the connection for the back rest cross bar and test assembled the seat and backrest for a trial sit.  It felt very good, but I decided to trim the mating surface of the back support bottom joint, to raise the angle to be slightly more upright, about half an inch forward, which required just an eighth of an inch trim at the joint.  This is done now, including tweaking the pre-tensioning lag bolt at this support's weak spot.  Nothing left but to install the Zebra wood parts and apply final finish.

Click here  for the Flickr pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment