Sacked by the "downturn", an unemployed architect touring the country in a bus...




I used to live in New York City. I designed homes for the tycoons of Wall Street; Park Avenue, Scarsdale, Greenwich. It was great fun. And, after years of saving up for a down payment, I was just about to buy my own little place in Fleetwood, half an hour north of the city, when the economy fell apart. Architects are like canaries in a coal mine when the economy slows, and true to form, there were massive layoffs in firms all over the country. Devastation of the profession. So, I decided to try to find something else to do for a while. I bought a 23' school bus and I'm on the road to see if I can figure out what that might be.

Friday, July 2, 2010

I rented a Wood Shop in Jerome, AZ

Well, I rented a wood shop!


$300/month.  40 x 40, great machines, table saw, drill press, band saw, lathe, 8" jointer, 30" wide sander, all excellent industrial grade, cast iron, 220 volt 3hp and up, super dust collection system.

I have first right of refusal to buy the equipment at estimated $15,000 (negotiable?), with up to 3 year lease at $550/mo for the 40 x 40 room.

Let's see if I can make anything that sells in the next month or so!

The town is adorable, full of galleries and artists; painters, potters, leather workers, glass blowers, iron workers, a foundry (good for furniture parts :-)

The houses that have been renovated go for $600k and up.  20% of the town has not been renovated.  Nothing under construction now.  A lot of wrecks available for about $100-120k, so in a year or so,...  I met two people on the Arch review board so far, and they loved my portfolio.

Met with a local furniture manufacturer and offered to design a "Roy Pertchik, Signature Collection", the CEO likes the idea.

Going to a town party tonight.

(click the pics for larger views)













2 comments:

  1. Hark, a comment!

    Thanks Eli, yeah, it's sweeet. I posted some pics now of two sketches (above)

    Maybe I'll get to do the "Chair and Tables" one day.

    ReplyDelete