Sacked by the "downturn", an unemployed architect touring the country in a bus...




I used to live in New York City. I designed homes for the tycoons of Wall Street; Park Avenue, Scarsdale, Greenwich. It was great fun. And, after years of saving up for a down payment, I was just about to buy my own little place in Fleetwood, half an hour north of the city, when the economy fell apart. Architects are like canaries in a coal mine when the economy slows, and true to form, there were massive layoffs in firms all over the country. Devastation of the profession. So, I decided to try to find something else to do for a while. I bought a 23' school bus and I'm on the road to see if I can figure out what that might be.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Friends...


Hi Readers.  It's been a few days since i posted.  Things have been very busy here.  I also learned that putting systems into my bus would be very expensive if I had it done by an RV repair place.  I am thinking about my commitment to this trip; getting this far has been such an ordeal, pressing on without some more creature comforts seems daunting, and my financial situation is not good.  I question why I am volunteering to help people, some of whom are in a better position than I am.  And yet, the trip and writing about it, and the photographs, feel important.  And there is so much more to see and wonderful places to go.  Last night I talked with a very good friend and realized that the next few steps are clear; finish the design for the MEMA housing clusters, photo some of Katrina's wake, see New Orleans, and see what happens after that... possibly some paid work or other leads here.

I've posted a picture in the right hand column, titled "Friends at Katrina Relief."  Click on it and see a Flicker slide show of some of the wonderful volunteers here.

More later...

Later:

It's amazing how a nap can refurbish will.  I think I do my best thinking when I am asleep.  I know two things: I can get what I need done for a lot less, and two, things would be a lot better if i had a job.  Time to pursue both.

No comments:

Post a Comment