Sacked by the "downturn", an unemployed architect touring the country in a bus...




I used to live in New York City. I designed homes for the tycoons of Wall Street; Park Avenue, Scarsdale, Greenwich. It was great fun. And, after years of saving up for a down payment, I was just about to buy my own little place in Fleetwood, half an hour north of the city, when the economy fell apart. Architects are like canaries in a coal mine when the economy slows, and true to form, there were massive layoffs in firms all over the country. Devastation of the profession. So, I decided to try to find something else to do for a while. I bought a 23' school bus and I'm on the road to see if I can figure out what that might be.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Apalachicola, Fl.... a gem


Two nights ago I stayed in Apalachicola, Florida.  This town has never been devastated, not by hurricane or developer.  So there are 100 year old trees and 100 year old buildings.  There is a fishing warf and a quaint main street and it's surrounded by a historic district.  It's the kind of "Our Town" Thorton Wilder must have had in mind, complete with a spooky graveyard.  Click the picture in the right hand column for a Flick slide show.  The picture here, to the left, is of the Hotel I stayed in (I needed a shower.)  As I walked up, I thought, if it's $300 leave, under $150, ok... it turned out to be $90 for a twin, but I upgraded to $95 for a queen.  The picture here to the right is my bus interior after two weeks... just kidding, it's the 95 dollar room :-)  I was practically in tears.

In the morning, I had a great phone call that changed things for me, which will be in the next post...

2 comments:

  1. Whoah! Awesome room. And I am dying to know about the phone call that changed your life. Tease!

    Stay warm and safe!

    Love,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also meant to say "How could the Gibson Inn be anything but awesome." LOL!

    ReplyDelete