Sacked by the "downturn", an unemployed architect touring the country in a bus...




I used to live in New York City. I designed homes for the tycoons of Wall Street; Park Avenue, Scarsdale, Greenwich. It was great fun. And, after years of saving up for a down payment, I was just about to buy my own little place in Fleetwood, half an hour north of the city, when the economy fell apart. Architects are like canaries in a coal mine when the economy slows, and true to form, there were massive layoffs in firms all over the country. Devastation of the profession. So, I decided to try to find something else to do for a while. I bought a 23' school bus and I'm on the road to see if I can figure out what that might be.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Networking, and...

I played at the Stanford jazz jam.  It was fun, and pretty good.  Some faculty play as rhythm section, so it holds together quite well.  Think I'll do this some more, but I'd really prefer some one on one with some of them.  Got a call from PJ, a tasty conga/tambourine percussionist/singer whom I heard in a street trio back in Oakland, and to whom I had given my card.  Now, a few months later, she is contacting me to play.  Our schedules conflict 'till after I get back from Lexington, but I'm looking forward to it.
A few days ago, Pearl, computer wiz recently turned architect for a 2nd career, asked me to comment on a house project she is designing.  I did so, over lunch, and sent a follow up e-mail sketch, which she liked sufficiently to draw up and present to her client.  Last night I received an e-mail from Allen, a mechanical engineer proposing a system for the Magic residence, asking me if I'd be interested in consulting on a project that's gone a bit off the rails, ie. been through a few architects, and is partially built with some bad decisions.  I said yes, of course.  Sounds like a fun opportunity to be a know it all, and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat (I hope :-)  Today, David and Hillary introduced me to Tony Carrasco, a local architect and friend who consulted on an earlier iteration of the Magic project.  He's a very nice, gentle, smart guy, and we hit it off.  He liked what I was proposing for the project, and I had a chance to show my nice chair, etc. 
Little Hill, one of the two daughters here, and I planted 4 tomato plants and 18 garlic cloves in the garden beds I have been preparing the last few weeks.  Tomorrow Harper and I will take a bike ride around "the loop."  This weekend, Andrew's girl friend Zoe will come and visit and we'll probably all do something.  Tomorrow morning Esperanza and I will work on her reading.


I've grown a lot this year.

* * *

1 comment: