Sacked by the "downturn", an unemployed architect touring the country in a bus...




I used to live in New York City. I designed homes for the tycoons of Wall Street; Park Avenue, Scarsdale, Greenwich. It was great fun. And, after years of saving up for a down payment, I was just about to buy my own little place in Fleetwood, half an hour north of the city, when the economy fell apart. Architects are like canaries in a coal mine when the economy slows, and true to form, there were massive layoffs in firms all over the country. Devastation of the profession. So, I decided to try to find something else to do for a while. I bought a 23' school bus and I'm on the road to see if I can figure out what that might be.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

The 3rd Chair


The mahogany of the frame finished very nicely.  I used a blend of two Minwax stains, then 2 coats of gloss polyurethane, each sanded to 400 grit, a final satin coat sanded to 1200 grit, and a top coat of paste wax rubbed in with 0000 steel wool and buffed.

I've given notice at the shop, the month of January will be my last.  I'm trying to find a way to stay down in Menlo Park, where I can get access to a CNC router table and wood shop, where I can experiment with modern fabrication.




No comments:

Post a Comment