Sacked by the "downturn", an unemployed architect touring the country in a bus...




I used to live in New York City. I designed homes for the tycoons of Wall Street; Park Avenue, Scarsdale, Greenwich. It was great fun. And, after years of saving up for a down payment, I was just about to buy my own little place in Fleetwood, half an hour north of the city, when the economy fell apart. Architects are like canaries in a coal mine when the economy slows, and true to form, there were massive layoffs in firms all over the country. Devastation of the profession. So, I decided to try to find something else to do for a while. I bought a 23' school bus and I'm on the road to see if I can figure out what that might be.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Thom Wheeler is having fun

Back on May 18, I wandered on my scooter along some back roads winding into the foothills of the Rockies east of Taos.  There are many galleries and studios tucked in here and there, and though rain was threatening, I took a chance and stopped at Thom Wheeler's place, as it seemed particularly over the top and picturesque.

  Click here for a Flickr slide show of Thom's unusual home and studio, which he designed and had built on his income from his art work.

No comments:

Post a Comment